Advertising and Promotion (MKT621)
In this lecture students will learn when to use newspaper advertising; approximately how much
it will cost and how to put together a good newspaper add. It will also be explained as to from
whom the use of newspaper for advertising is beneficial.
WHO SHOULD USE NEWSPAPER?
Newspapers are a good medium for conveying specific, detailed information about a product
and its features these are basically ideal for a company which wants to influence a broad
market. Following are different usages of newspaper in different situations for different
· Those who want to influence a broad market.
· Newspapers provide a good medium for conveying specific, detailed information such as
price, percentage discounts & product features.
· Local daily & weekly newspapers are No.1 advertising choice of most small businesses.
Ad production cost vary depending upon the design, incorporating illustrations, photos use of
color, type styles amount of type and other factors.
Before you can understand how much newspapers cost, it is important to understand how
newspaper ad space is measured, following are the three ways in this regard.
a) By the column inch
b) By standard advertising units.
c) By Lines/words.
Generally newspaper pages are six columns wide a page is usually 21.5 inches tall and a full
page contains approximately 129 column inches (6 col. x 21.5 inches).
Various newspapers have different typical rates which may differ on weekends / Sundays.
TYPES OF NEWSPAPER ADS
Display: These ads can appear any where in the paper except classified section.
Display Classified: These ads are sized to fit within the classified columns and
purchased mostly at lower rate than display ads.
Classified Line: These ads are typical classified ads where you see advertising "for
sale" and "wanted". These ads are priced by line rather than column inch.
Free Standing Insert: These are basically the slick little mini magazines / brouchers /
preprints, which slide out of the paper the moment you pick it up.
It is basically a measure of the number of copies of a paper that are distributed. However, it
should be understood that circulation figures reflect the number of copies distributed and not
the number of readers.
Advertising and Promotion (MKT621)
USING NEWSPAPERS SPACE
The advertiser has to determine as to what are his objectives and based upon that he can chose a
definitive space to place advertisement. Following are the some parameters for using
newspaper space effectively.
· Choosing section in which to advertise.
· Choosing time of the year.
· Choosing day of the week.
· Using combination buys.
· Choosing size and position.
NEWSPAPER ADS DESIGN TIPS
One of the main challenges is to design an ad which stands out in competition and provides the
effect required by the advertiser. Following are few guidelines and tips for preparing a good
add design for newspapers.
· Use reverses to attract attention. (white type on a black background)
· Use white space creatively. White space refers to any portion of your ad not occupied by
type or illustrations.
· Be sure to use common design elements in all your ads.
· Use type faces different from those set by the publication.
· Design around newspaper reproduction methods.
· Consider color. Using spot colors i.e. another color in addition to the basic black of your
Follow Sound Principles:
To make advertisement effective and achieve objectives for better coverage and reach
following principals can be very helpful.
· They focus on a single message.
· They express the message in terms of the benefit to the reader.
· They use simple, eye catching graphics and readable type.
Table of Contents: